History

Stadskasteel

History

Over the years, the Stadskasteel (tower house) has had various owners. The history of the tower house began at the end of the 13th century, when its construction was completed. It was subsequently occupied by several noble families, who have left their mark on the current tower house in the names of the different meeting/event halls.

Since 2003, Oudaen has been a true purveyor of fine food and drink with many facets and faces.

Brewery

History

During the Middle Ages, beer was by and large the people’s drink due to a lack of clean drinking water. Since it is boiled during the brewing process, all bacteria are killed, which meant that no one fell ill from it. More expensive alternatives, such as tea, coffee, lemonade, and wine were consumed by the wealthy.

In 1610, there were 22 breweries in Utrecht, most of which were located on the docks along the Oudegracht. In 1674, this dropped to 14 and by the 18th century only two breweries remained. Around 1990, when Stadskasteel Oudaen was designated for hospitality use and a brewery was established in the vaulted cellar, beer was finally being brewed on the Oudegracht again after 93 years!

Present

History

After nearly 15 years, Stadskasteel Oudaen is acquired by its neighbours on the Oudegracht: the owners of PK Bar & Kitchen. They decide that the somewhat old-fashioned tower house needs an update: Oudaen 2.0.

Ownership

History

Peter Elzendoorn and Ireen Ophof seize the opportunity when Krasnapolsky quietly offers Stadskasteel Oudaen up for sale in 2003 and they acquire the space.

Krasnapolsky

History

Stadskasteel Oudaen had been privately owned, but is taken over by Krasnapolsky NV/NH Hotels. Due to the inability to rent out hotel rooms there, Oudaen quickly proves problematic from a commercial perspective.

Utrecht municipality

History

Utrecht Municipality purchases Stadskasteel Oudaen and creates a foundation for its restoration and maintenance.

Utrechts
Monument

History

The Utrechts Monumentenfonds (Utrecht monument fund) buys Oudaen, because the required restoration is not being performed.

Restauratie

History

The Stadskasteel is sold to the student association Veritas for just 1 euro, under the condition that the necessary restoration and renovation plans be implemented. The association turns out to be financially unable to accomplish this.

Oude
mannen en vrouwenhuis

History

Stadskasteel Oudaen operates as a home for senior citizens.

Fusie

History

The main building and northern wing are combined into a single unit. This results in the Stadskasteel having the facade that we know today.

Adel

History

The house is owned by various noble families, the most famous owner being Vrederix Soudenbalch. The families of Taets-Oudaen and Drakenborgh lived in the tower house and together they had it expanded with multiple smaller homes, which were built as extensions to the main building.

Het begin

History

Built Stadskasteel Oudaen

Deze website maakt gebruik van cookies om je een zo goed mogelijke gebruikerservaring te geven. Ga hiermee akkoord door op accepteren te clicken. Je kunt ze ook afwijzen. Dan blijft de site gewoon werken (maar mogelijk niet optimaal).